My mums go to recipe when people are popping over for morning tea is a batch of scones. She has a knack for making them perfectly fluffy and round, but not too round – just perfect. She learnt from the best (my Grandma and Great Grandma) and I from her so you’d think mine would be just as good.
I don’t know what I do but every time I make them they are with either too hard, don’t rise well or they are just crumbly and bleh.
So that’s it I’m hanging up my Scone Hat and never making a batch again! I’ll just enjoy them all the more when I pop over to Mum’s for morning tea. I’m now concentrating my energy on something I can get right – cinnamon scrolls!
Easy Cinnamon Scrolls
What you need
- 300g self Raising flour
- 90g butter
- 150g milk
- 60g butter
- 40g brown sugar
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 150g icing sugar
- 1 1/2 tbs boiling water
What to do.
- Combine the flour and butter (like bread crumbs)
- Add milk and knead the dough until combined
- Roll dough on a floured surface to approx 20cm – 40cm
- Mix all filling ingredients together
- spread evenly over the dough
- Roll up the dough from the long side and cut into 3cm pieces.
- Place scrolls cut side up on baking tray and bake for approximately 15 mins in a moderate oven.
- mix icing sugar and water together and drizzle over warm scrolls
This recipe is super easy even for a scone killer like myself. I use the Thermomix when I make mine, but any stand mixer will do.
What’s your favourite morning tea recipe? Let me know how your scroll attempts go.